Submit Complaint

Are you having problems with your loan servicer?

We may be able to help.

The Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit can attempt to resolve your disputes with student loan servicers, where possible and appropriate, with issues including:

  • Crediting principal and interest payments
  • Eligibility for repayment and forgiveness programs
  • Falling behind on payments
  • Misapplied payments
  • Interest rate calculations
  • Requesting a new repayment plan
  • Servicer changes
  • Loan consolidation

Your Situation Matters.

Every complaint our Office receives helps us to identify and prioritize problems Rhode Islanders are experiencing in the student loan marketplace for potential action.


How to Submit a Complaint:

Option 1: Fill out our Online Complaint Form

Option 2: Call us at (401) 274-4400

Option 3: Download a complaint form which can be emailed to or mailed to:

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Unit
4 Howard Ave.
Cranston, RI 02920

Next Steps:

We will review your complaint and an Investigator will contact you.